2023 Holiday Season Marketing Update
Update: While the content below was originally written in and related to 2022, the message of this post is still very relevant to 2023 and the 2023 holiday shopping season. As we expressed in a previous blog post, if you’re an organization that offers experiences that can either be enjoyed as part of a holiday activity/event one participates in with family or friends and/or an organization who offers experiences that could be given as a gift — experiential gifts/experience presents continue to be quite hot — make sure you capitalize on that by including “things to do” and “experience gift” type terms in your website content. Need a list of experience-related terms to include? Reach out and we’ll share one with you!
2022 SEO Planning to Capitalize On Holiday Shopping
Where did 2022 go? It’s hard to believe it’s late October, and that means that consumers are already starting their holiday shopping. Regardless of whether your target audiences are shopping for Christmas, Hanukkah, or some other holiday celebrated towards the end of the calendar year, it would be a huge marketing mistake to not capitalize on the year-end uptick in online shopping by making sure your website ranks as well as possible for terms related to it.
While the focus of this post is related to retail, e-commerce, and B2C organizations offering physical products, as you read thru it, you’ll see there are applications for organizations trying to sell services, tickets to events, or even looking for someone to make a donation to their non-profit organization as a gift to someone else.
SEO Tactics For The Holidays
Below are both easy, and more time-consuming/complex SEO tasks your organization should complete by early November to support having a successful holiday sales season.
- Conduct keyword research to determine the search phrases your target audiences are using most related to holiday shopping or holiday gift giving. If you don’t have access to a keyword planning/research tool, reach out and we will share holiday-shopping-related keyword research with you that we already conducted for FREE (a more extensive list than what we share further on in our post.) That’s our holiday gift to you!
- Incorporate high-volume keywords (search terms) that are relevant to your target audience in:
- the public-facing content found on a holiday-related landing page (if you plan to have specials/sales/discounts or want to promote certain items that make great holiday gifts) and/or incorporate such terms on existing product-specific pages.
- website product and landing page headers (H1 and H2), as appropriate.
- page title tags, particularly if you have a distinct landing page or several such pages for holiday shopping and specials.
- one or several blog posts you write about holiday shopping. Google’s most recent algorithm change (September 2022) supports better ranking for organizations that provide “helpful” vs. “unhelpful” content so don’t make your blog post all about your organization. Provide ideas beyond your products or services that website visitors/target audiences might benefit from like this one shared by a fellow South Shore of Boston organization https://www.southshoreroofers.com/8-steps-to-keep-your-home-and-family-merry-safe-this-winter-and-holiday-season/
- Use structured data to support your products appearing at the top of Google search results when someone searches on a very specific product need like “yellow pocketbook.” As a result of the aforementioned fall 2022 algorithm change, use of Google “Shopping ads,” a Google Merchant Center Account and/or Google Surfaces is no longer mandatory to have your products shown to individuals who are shopping. This article details Google’s reason for making the change and where your product information may appear when you properly use “structured data.”
The above task/tactic may be a more complicated and difficult one for your organization and may require your website developer’s help. You can learn more about structured data (also known as “schema markup”) via these resources:
How To Incorporate High-volume Holiday-Shopping Keywords In Your Website Content
Recent holiday-shopping keyword research we conducted indicated the following as being among some of the highest-volume search terms used related to holiday shopping or gift shopping, in general (the number shown represents the average # of monthly searches in Google for that term):
- gifts for men – 301,000
- gifts for mom – 201,000
- gifts for dad – 135,000
- gifts for women – 135,000
- Christmas gifts for mom – 90500
- Gifting ideas for men – 90500
- mens gifts ideas – 90500
- gift ideas for women – 90500
- mom Christmas gifts – 90500
- women’s gifts ideas – 90500
- women’s gifts for men – 74000
- Christmas gifts for men – 74000
- Gifts for mens Christmas – 74000
- Christmas gifts for dad – 49500
- Gifts for girlfriends – 49500
- Christmas gifts for boyfriend – 40500
- Christmas gifts for womens – 40500
- Gifts for womens Christmas – 40500
- Gifts for wife Christmas – 33100
- Best Men gifts – 33100
- Gift ideas for mom – 33100
- Husbands gifts – 33100
- Unique gifts – 33100
- Best Christmas gifts 2021 (note you can use this phrase but change to 2022) – 33100
- Gift for Christmas for wife – 33100
- Unique gifts for men — 27100
- Christmas gift idea for her — 27100
- Christmas gifts for a girlfriend — 27100
- Christmas gift ideas for her — 27100
- Best gifts for men 2021 (change to 2022) — 27100
- Best gifts for women 2021 (change to 2022) — 27100
- Christmas Gifts 2021 (change to 2022) — 27100
- Christmas gf gifts (change to 2022) (reminder people use acronyms like bff, bf in searches) — 27100
- Gift ideas for boyfriend – 22200
- Gift ideas for dad – 22200
- Best gifts for mom – 22200
- Top gifts for guys – 22200
- Best gifts for moms – 22200
- Secret santa gift ideas – 22200
- Fun gift – 22200
- Ideas gift boyfriend – 22200
- Christmas gift teenagers – 22200
- Gifts for husbands Christmas — 18000
- Best gifts for dad — 18000
- Best gifts for dads — 18000
- Gift ideas for girlfriend — 18000
- Unique gifts for women — 18000
- Christmas gift ideas for mom — 14800
- Ideas for mens stocking stuffers — 14800
- Good gifts for mom—14800
- Gift ideas for wife — 14800
- Christmas gift ideas for moms — 14800
- Unique Christmas gifts — 14800
- Secret santa gifts — 14800
- Mom’s Christmas gift ideas — 14800
- Christmas gifts to her — 14800
- Christmas gift ideas for him — 12100
- Cool guys gifts — 12100
- Cool gifts for guys — 12100
- Presents for mom — 12100
- Gifts for mother — 12100
- Women best gift — 12100
- Best gifts for women — 12100
- Gadgets for men — 12100
- Cool Christmas gift — 12100
- Christmas fun gift — 12100
- Christmas gift ideas 2021 (change to 2022) — 12100
- Best gift 2021 (change to 2022) — 12100
- Gift ideas him Christmas — 12100
As mentioned above, we are glad to provide a much more extensive list of holiday shopping terms and their associated average monthly searches in Google. You can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org to have the list sent to you. As we share all the time with our new SEO clients and attendees of our SEO classes, and as we did in this previous blog post, keyword research can also help you identify new products, services or solutions you should offer.
As alluded to above, be sure to use the term 2022 once or several times related to holiday shopping, and also be sure to include terms for non-Christmas holidays that are celebrated in December. Plus, think about what acronyms or abbreviations someone might use related to a loved, such as “bff” for “best friends forever.”
Before you begin incorporating high-volume keywords in your content, think about whom would most likely be the recipient of a gift of your product, services, event or class tickets, or a donation, and use terms that the searcher of your product or service might use. Let’s say you offer hand-made jewelry for women, you’d want your site to rank well for terms above like “Christmas gifts to her” and “Christmas gifts for mom” and should incorporate such or similar terms in your website content.
We’re Here To Help You Rank Well For Holiday Shopping Search Terms
Got questions or need our help. Reach out today as holiday shopping has already begun!